Welcome to the 108 Sun Salutations Challenge.
On Saturday 16th March we come together to celebrate Spring Equinox and unite our collective energy by raising money for The Little Rose Shelter, a charity that offers refuge and rehabilitation to girls and young women at risk or survivors of sexual trafficking in Vietnam.
The 108 Sun Salutations practice is traditionally observed by the yoga community to celebrate the change of the seasons. Practitioners come together to complete 108 sets of Surya Namaskar sequence of poses. The number 108 is significant in yoga for a number of reasons, two of the most popular being that:
- The number connects the universe as the average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters.
- According to yogic tradition, there are 108 sacred sites throughout India.
The practice will be led and counted by Yoga Joy Saigon’s teachers and modifications and rests are encouraged for those who need them. To prepare you for the event, we are offering two workshops. These are included in your registration fee:
- Workshop 1 March 2, 10.30-11.30am Understanding The Sun Salutation
- Workshop 2 March 10, 3.30-4.30pm Practicing 50 Sun Salutations
- To recover from your hard work you are welcome to join Steph for Restorative Yoga at 10am the next day at no cost.
The Riverside Residence Block A - Nguyen Luong Bang Street
(Behind the Tennis Court)
7:45am Check In - 8:00am Start
What to bring
Mat/ Water bottle (refills available)/Hat or sunscreen
Towel (plus one to cover your mat if you sweat a lot)
We will provide water and fresh fruit to replenish afterwards
You may also bring something to place in the centre of the circle. This object will be charged with the energy created by our collective practice. Items could include jewelry, flowers, buddha, a singing bowl, etc.
Please ask friends and family to pledge their support for you in this challenge. Donations could be per Sun Salutation or for completion of the whole challenge.
All donations should be collected and delivered to Alison Lockwood by March 29th. For international donations please speak to Alison for idea.